It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: An option for 3" wider front Toyota without wheel spacers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:52 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

After doing some research on other options besides 1.5" wheel spacers on the front solid axle Toyota (to match a IFS width rear)

in a past build, I bought the Sky MFG hub spacers to use 86-95 IFS bearing hubs and vented rotors, which worked well, and widens the front 3"s
but as always I'm looking for new and different ways to do stuff and save some $$... 8)

since I had almost all of the parts needed.

I decided on this build to go with the 4wd Tacoma slip on rotors..

I finished up one side, and it all fits great..!! 8)

here is what I did, (there are several posts out there on this)

Toyota solid axle spindles, knuckles
86-95 IFS front bearing hubs (I reused my solid axle wheel bearings and races in the IFS bearing hubs)
solid axle inner wheel bearing seals
1998 Toyota Tacoma front rotors
Toyota 90-95 4wd 3.0 brake calipers
solid axle locking hubs

The only things that has to be modified is the IFS bearing hubs and caliper/knuckle mounting holes.
The bearing hubs will need to have the outer plate (where the wheel lugs are) turned/ground down approx. 1/4", this is so the Tacoma rotor hats will slip over, I had a friend use his brake lathe to cut the plates.
there are a few different ways to mount the calipers (but all require them to be mounted on the opposite side of the ears on the knuckles)
I opted to drill out the caliper and knuckle holes to 1/2" (which is only about 1 drill step up from the factory metric holes
I'm using grade-12, 2" long bolts
I welded a grade-12 nut to the inner side of each caliper hole (just to make the threading easier)
used grade-12 lock washers
installed a washer between the caliper and knuckle ear for the correct spacing (the rotor fits perfect between the caliper slots)
bolted everything together, and WAA-LAA... instant vented slip-on rotor upgrade with larger V-6 calipers and 3" wider without spacers..................... 8) 8)

Attachments:
100_2255.JPG
100_2255.JPG [ 140.5 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]
100_2268.JPG
100_2268.JPG [ 130.35 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Post subject: Re: An option for 3" wider front Toyota without wheel spacer
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:14 pm 

Looks good for what you had to spend, and I'm also a fan of saving cash and using what you have laying around 8) 8) ........... but I don't think I'll ever build a stock mini housing again though. With the learning curve on the fj80 axles that I have done recently, wider is factory. Much wider like 8" Wider in a stock axle and it already comes with a high ponion and vented rotors and v6 calipers. The only real pricey thing is the hellfires, but there are ways to do it without hellfire also that aren't that expensive if you shop it right. And manuel hubs from a mini solid axle are easily adapted to eliminate the drive flanges.

Can't beat new and different ways to get the same results as spacers. Got to love how adaptable toyota parts are to one another!

Post subject: Re: An option for 3" wider front Toyota without wheel spacer
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:12 am 
WEBILT 4WD club member

hauser roccs wrote:
Looks good for what you had to spend, and I'm also a fan of saving cash and using what you have laying around 8) 8) ........... but I don't think I'll ever build a stock mini housing again though. With the learning curve on the fj80 axles that I have done recently, wider is factory. Much wider like 8" Wider in a stock axle and it already comes with a high ponion and vented rotors and v6 calipers. The only real pricey thing is the hellfires, but there are ways to do it without hellfire also that aren't that expensive if you shop it right. And manuel hubs from a mini solid axle are easily adapted to eliminate the drive flanges.

Can't beat new and different ways to get the same results as spacers. Got to love how adaptable toyota parts are to one another!

Yep I'm all about new and different ways to do things.

too bad I cannot seem to hold onto these trucks... :oops:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]